Welcome to 2012. By now, over half of the United States is on Facebook….sharing photos, videos, conversations, timelines and more. People everywhere are using Facebook to share life updates with their family, friends and clients. However, with all of this going on, it has become very easy to forget that there are some things that definitely shouldn’t be shared out there.
Here’s 5 things that are better left OFF of your Facebook account:
1) Your Birth Date and Place: For those of us who have been on Facebook for some time now, it definitely is nice to get lots of birthday wishes on your birthday, but if someone uses that information against you, it could be really problematic. We at FirstAmTech always recommend AT LEAST hiding your birth year, but to be even safer, don’t display it at all.
2) Your Home Address or Phone Number: This seems pretty obvious, but we are often surprised by how many people keep this information public. Also, if you want to send your phone number or address to a Facebook friend, make sure to do it as a private message….not as a wall post or status update.
3) Vacations: Sharing your vacation pictures are great, but just wait to share them until you’re back. Checking in at the airport on your way out of town shows your connections that your home might be vulnerable.
4) Confessionals, rants or other inappropriate remarks: Pretty much a bad idea all the way around. We’ve all heard of people getting fired for inappropriate remarks on Facebook. It seems to me that these things are just begging for trouble.
5) Photos: Good rule to follow – If you have ANY doubt about it, probably a good idea either not to post it or keep it pretty private.
Got a few more? Feel free to leave your comments below.